Saturday, February 26, 2011

High Tea

Today the girls and I went to a local fund raiser, The Teddy Bear Tea.  The girls wore nice dresses and looked very nice.  I was so proud!

We arrive and go get checked in for the tea.  There is an older woman standing there looking like she might have worked at Red Robin or Olive Garden before.  She wrote our party number down and name on her list so she could call us when a table opened up.  I was disappointed that we didn't get a little disk that lit up when our table was ready.  Maybe next year.

Our number is finally called and we go to our table.  We had to share our table with four other ladies.  They were very nice looking ladies, but we didn't know them.  They just got the honor of sharing the table with us.

They start off the course with fruit and tea or apple juice.  My children look at the food like they have never eaten in their life!  The plate barely made it with a grape on it before it got passed to the other ladies at the table. Next came the little tea sandwiches.  Ella goes for a peanut butter sandwich cut in a circle with sprinkles around the edges "FANCY MOM!"  Aubrey picks her usual, an ham and cheese.  Then we pass the plate around to our table companions.  Aubrey is asking for seconds.  Ella waves over one of the attendants and asks for more peanut butter sandwiches "please".  Thank goodness she remembered her manors.  I take this opportunity to explain to the girls that it's a tea, NOT a meal.  That they should think of it more as a snack, a fancy snack.

Ella says to me "But Mommy, I don't know how to be fancy."  I say to her, "Then just pretend to be fancy".  She thinks about that for awhile.  Then she says to me "My pinkie is out Mom!  I'm fancy now!"  Aubrey is rolling her eyes at us and the other ladies at the table are smiling and giggling at us.

The rest of the tea goes off with out a hitch.  And we blow that joint before someone decided to fart or pick their nose.

When we got home I told Jeff about our adventure.  Aubrey over hears us and decided to interject her own comment..."I was just trying to stay away from all those old ladies!"

Can't wait for next years tea!

1 comment:

  1. i come to your blog and read for a lift--you're kids are so cool!!!

    ReplyDelete